Monday, February 27, 2012

A Balrog, an Elf, and Tinker Bell Walk Into a Cave...

    I was wearing boiled leather armor, a lot like the kind you see in rpgs, and I was fighting something that was like a balrog in a cave.  But my weapons were destroyed and it was time to run.  The cave was hollow and high with ledges that spiraled the walls around the gaping, black maw.  Evenly spaced doors were set in the walls on the ledges and I began to try and wrench them open.  But the balrog creature was hurling fireballs at me with such strength that when a projectile hit the ground or wall the spot would shatter.  None of the doors were opening and the heat was unbearable; I was tiring.  The balrog had a well placed shot  that rocked the ground I stood upon and shattered the ledge; I slid down into the pit.  
    The light faded away and I seemed to fall for ages.  The darkness in front of me gave way for a moment to show a crystal-like object taller than me lodged into the wall.  But just as quickly as it had appeared it vanished as I passed.  Eventually I decided to prepare myself for impact even though I would surely die.  Below me there was a sea green light and the space opened into a cavern.  Somehow, amazingly, I slowed down and fell gently onto a pale bed of moss underneath long, wavy grass that moved as if it were underwater.  I picked myself up and took note of my surroundings.  The sea green light had no discernible source and the walls glistened.  Nearby there was a chest that looked designed to belong to someone twelve feet tall and I felt compelled to open it.  I gingerly stepped across the springy ground and unlatched the lid; I heaved it back and saw a weapon inside.  It was a very large, very clean war hammer.  It took all of my strength but I managed to pull it out of the chest.  Then I heard a voice behind me, "I've been waiting."
    The voice reminded me of a cello and I turned to meet it.  A humanoid creature with wings hovered before me and it was the source of the light in the chamber.  It was awesome, in the classic sense of the word, and I held up the handle to it.  It lifted the weapon as though it were as light as a feather and then took flight.  It went up from where I fell and I followed its light to where I had seen the crystal in the wall.  It swung the hammer and smashed the crystal into glimmering pieces and there was a cry of pure rage somewhere in the distance.  As I gazed upward tiny, shimmering dust from the crystal fell lightly onto my face.  And then I could fly.  Concentrated pixie dust?


    And that's when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature Tea Blend