Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I Am...Batman?

       My ward was the son of a very important, wealthy political figure in an alternate universe where there were people who could accurately tell the future for the right price.  My ward, Will, was eight years old and a seer had foretold that he would overthrow the current government, which was oppressive, when he grew up.  Because of his parents' political status this information was easily leaked and made public, putting Will in danger of losing his life very early.  This is where my job came in; I was your classic skin-tight, black leather wearing, multiple guns toting bodyguard.

I'm very talented in my dreams.
I had some small seer power in the category of danger happening in my vicinity; I could see things that would happen in the next minute or so, giving me enough time to get out of the way.  My services as a bodyguard fetched a high price because of this, but soon it was discovered that there were also people who could dispel seer powers for a few seconds...
    Will, his nanny, and I were on top of the roof of the building the family lived in where Will had his own personal playground.  From there I had  a good vantage point of our surroundings; there was only one building nearby that was higher than ours, but I wasn't too concerned about that.  What I was concerned about was the scaffolding that scaled the front wall of our building for a facade treatment.  The door to the stairs was near the front of the building so if I sensed something was going to happen and there were more then just a couple of people, escaping would be difficult.  So I decided to keep my attention toward the scaffolding to watch for any extra movement.
Actually, I was more like a paid Batman with super powers.
    Suddenly I felt a vision coming on; they usually lasted just a couple of seconds, but instead of a vision the feeling faded away into nothing.  That was not normal at all, it had never happened.  I felt a buzzing sensation of nervousness at the base of my skull and pulled out a gun, running to Will.  I screamed for them to go as I spun in slow circles, still making sure I was blocking at least one shot of Will, trying to find from where the attack would be coming.  The first shot cracked and I felt the bullet punch into my back, apparently I didn't feel the need to invest in some Kevlar.  I stumbled and whirled around to see a gunman on a balcony of the higher building behind us.  I shot at him but a person in the shadows stepped out and pushed him out of the way just as I pulled my trigger.  I abandoned my first idea of killing the gunman and made sure Will got through the door.


Of course I gave up, I was obviously up against Emma Frost and Bane.

He did and I the second shot came; it hit me directly in my spine and I fell forward onto the edge of the building.  I wasn't able to move myself and my body helplessly slipped forward off the building and onto the scaffolding below.  I crashed and slid down until I rolled out onto the street, a bloodied mess.  People ran up to me and told me everything was going to be fine, I was going to make it.  But their words may as well have fallen on deaf ears, because I wasn't listening.  All I could think about was what my spine looked like.  Was it split?  Were the bones shattered?  Could anyone reconnect the broken spine or fix the damage?  It must have been a mess, I thought to myself just before I died.

And that's when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature Tea Blend